God's Design for the Familydef: The family is the foundational institution of society ordained by God. It is constituted bymarriage and is composed of persons related to one another by marriage, blood or adoption.
- The family is a fundamental institution of human society.
- Genesis 2:20-25, 4:1
- Exodus 20:5-6, Joshua 7:10,15,24-25, 2 Kings 13:23
- The family is constituted by marriage.
Genesis 2:20-25 A pattern or historical factoid? See v. 24 and Matthew 19:1-12(Video) What is God's Design for Family?
- Marriage is ordained by God.
- Marriage must be between one man and one woman.
- Marriage is characterized by leaving the authority structure of one's parents and joining together to form a new authority structure.
- Marriage is a picture of the relationship of Christ to the church. Ephesians 5:22-32
- Marriage is a covenant before God between a man and a woman. Proverbs 2:17, Malachi 2:14
- God has commissioned and blessed humanity with the charge to be fruitful and multiply. Genesis 1:28
- God has ordained that children be brought into the world only through the procreative activity of a husband and wife and only to married parents.
- The ordinary privilege and responsibility of married people is to have and rear children. Genesis 1:28, 1 Timothy 2:15
- The special privilege and responsibility of Christian parents is to bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord, that they may come to know Christ. Ephesians 6:4
- Parents have the primary responsibility and God-given authority to teach their children.
- Parents are responsible for their children's general education. Galatians 4:1-2
- Parents are responsible for their children's spiritual and theological education. Deuteronomy 6:6-9, Proverbs 1:7
- In light of the fall, God calls some people to singleness.
- Matthew 19:9-12
- I Corinthians 7:1-2,6-9,32-35,39-40
- In spite of the goodness of the single state in this age, it is still an incomplete state and requires special grace from God and his people. Psalm 68:5-6
Reforming Marriage, by Douglas Wilson, Canon Press, 1995, 142 pp. This is a lively, succinctoverview of the fundamental biblical principles and concepts concerning marriage. It is a greatbook for a single person (especially a man) to read to develop biblical and realistic expectationsconcerning marriage. Hang on to your hat, guys. Some have said it should've been calledReforming Husbands!
Availability: CPC Library
"Directives to Singles," 3-tape series by Al Martin, Trinity Pulpit, Montville, NJ. The series isdivided into "Basic Assumptions," "Theology of Singleness," and "Practical Considerations." Thisis an extremely helpful set of tapes and will clarify your thinking on both the single and marriedstates.
Availability: Trinity Pulpit or Stan Reeves
Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood. The purpose of the CBMW is to set forth Biblicalteaching about the complementary differences between men and women, created equal in theimage of God, because these teachings are essential for obedience to Scripture and for the healthof the family and the Church. Their web site has a large collection of very helpful material.
What is God's purpose for family? ›
The Lord spelled out His reason for a family in Genesis 1:28 when He said, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it, and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.” Families are to fill the earth, just as God said would ...What is God's design for marriage and family? ›
“The union of husband and wife in heart, body, and mind is intended by God for their mutual joy; for the help and comfort given one another in prosperity and adversity; and, when it is God's will, for the procreation of children and their nurture in the knowledge and love of the Lord.”What is God's view of family? ›
Family is at the center of God's plan for the happiness and progress of His children. The Holy Bible teaches that God established families from the very beginning, and it shows us many examples of strong families. It also teaches us how to have a loving, happy family.What is God's blessing for the family? ›
Their children will be mighty in the land; the generation of the upright will be blessed. Wealth and riches are in their houses, and their righteousness endures forever.”(Psalms 112:1,2,3). According to Scripture, He blesses the families who fear the Lord and keep His commands.What Scripture says about family? ›
"Honor your father and mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you." "A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for a time of adversity." "Children's children are a crown to the aged, and parents are the pride of their children." "Honor your father and mother."What are biblical family values? ›
Biblical family values are about service, sacrifice, acceptance, and love.What are God's 3 purposes for marriage? ›
God designed marriage for three primary purposes: companionship, procreation, and redemption. These purposes are still relevant today and are essential for a healthy society. Let's take a closer look at each one.What is God's design and calling for you as a husband? ›
God has designed the husband to be the head of the wife and granted Him authority over her. Like Christ's headship over the Church, the husband's authority is to be marked by responsibility and care, not rule and control.What are the four pillars of marriage? ›
Safety, Faithfulness, Commitment and Reliability are 4 pillars of trust every marriage needs. If any one of these is missing, the roof starts caving in and the relationship starts to deteriorate. Marriages thrive when both partners feel safe and secure.What is the true meaning of family? ›
family, a group of persons united by the ties of marriage, blood, or adoption, constituting a single household and interacting with each other in their respective social positions, usually those of spouses, parents, children, and siblings.
What Psalm is for family? ›
Psalm 121 is a powerful Psalm that you can use to pray for your family each day. We as Proverbs 31 women are called to pray for our families on a regular basis.What makes a family a blessed family? ›
A blessed family consists of the following: 1. A man and a woman (not women, not two women or two men) brought duly joined together spiritually and legally. There is no place in the Bible for live-in lovers.What are the 7 blessings of God? ›
In this book Munsey explains how, not only the Israelites, but believers today—nearly 3,500 years after the day of fasting, prayer, and offering began—can claim the seven specific, supernatural atonement blessings that are promised in Joel 2: • A Double Portion • Financial Abundance • Restoration • Miracles • God's ...What is the best verse of family? ›
"Honor your father and mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you." "A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for a time of adversity." "Children's children are a crown to the aged, and parents are the pride of their children." "Honor your father and mother."What does the Bible say about blessings of family? ›
One of the most important things the Bible teaches us about families is that they are a source of blessing from God. God “sets the lonely in families” (Psalm 68:6), blesses children who obey their parents (Exodus 20:12), and blesses parents with children (Psalm 127:3-5).What does Ecclesiastes say about family? ›
Faithful parenting, according to Ecclesiastes, is teaching our children to fear God and keep his commandments (12:13), to surround yourself with people who do the same (4:9-12), to walk in wisdom (7:19), to love the people close to you (9:9), and to prepare to die well (12:7).What is the 5 core values of family? ›
The values we hear most often from families are respect, love, humility, responsibility, and spirituality. Kids learn from experience.What are strong family values? ›
"the moral and ethical principles traditionally upheld and passed on within a family, as fidelity, honesty, truth, and faith." "values especially of a traditional or conservative kind which are held to promote the sound functioning of the family and to strengthen the fabric of society."What is God's design for marriage? ›
A husband and wife typically bring new life into the world. God designed marriage to join them to each other to be mother and father to their children. Mom and dad are the two best people to provide for and educate their children.What does a godly marriage look like? ›
God designed marriage as a lifelong commitment between one man and one woman for their mutual joy, the good of society, and the procreation of children. Marriage ultimately displays the glory and grace of God by picturing the unbreakable relationship between Christ and his church.
What are the 3 blessings of marriage? ›
Three Gifts of Marriage: Companionship, Passion and Purpose.What God expects of a wife? ›
Be a helper to your husband.
While all of us are called to be helpers to others, the Bible places a special emphasis on this responsibility for wives. Genesis tells us that God realized it wasn't good for man to be alone, and that He decided to make a “helper fit” (Genesis 2:18).
- Communication. You cannot have a positive marital relationship with your spouse if you are not communicating correctly. ...
- Honesty. ...
- Love. ...
- Trust. ...
- Respect. ...
- Always tell the truth to each other. ...
- Always listen to what the other person has to say. ...
- Eliminate criticism from your relationship. ...
- Eliminate bracing for the victim position when arguments come up. ...
- Living in thankfulness and appreciation.
4. The Golden Rule. Treat your significant other the way you would want to be treated. Be the person you would want to be married to.What are the 4 predictors of divorce? ›
The Four Horsemen are four communication habits that increase the likelihood of divorce, according to research by psychologist and renowned marriage researcher John Gottman, Ph. D. Those four behaviors are criticism, defensiveness, stonewalling, and contempt.What are the 7 principles of a successful marriage? ›
- 1) Sharing love maps.
- 2) Nurturing fondness and admiration.
- 3) Turning toward each other, instead of away.
- 4) Letting your partner influence you.
- 5) Solving your solvable problems.
- 6) Overcoming gridlock.
- 7) Creating shared meaning together.
Our working definition of family purpose is: a long-term goal that families share across generations and that becomes meaningful to younger family members as they form their own plans to accomplish acts of consequence to the world beyond themselves.What is the purpose of family in Christianity? ›
Protection and nurture
Just as Jesus demonstrated by dying on the cross, parents and children are called to make sacrifices for each other. Family is the first place where children can find out about love, companionship and forgiveness. Parents can set children a good example of how to live a Christian life.
The family ideally serves several functions for society. It socializes children, provides practical and emotional support for its members, regulates sexual reproduction, and provides its members with a social identity.
What is the most important purpose of a family? ›
Family is important because they can offer support and security coupled with unconditional love; they will always look to see and bring out the best in you even if you cannot see it for yourself.What are three reasons why family is important? ›
- They Create a Positive Family Identity. ...
- They Teach Us the Social Skills We Need. ...
- They Give Us a Sense of Security. ...
- They Give Us a Sense of Belonging and Acceptance in Society. ...
- They Prepare Us for Societal Demands and Norms. ...
- They Satisfy Our Emotional Needs.
He gives us all we need for every good work, Ephesians 6.10-12. He provides escape from temptation, 1 Corinthians 10.13. And, He provides us with the necessary discipline in order to bring correction to our spiritual life, Hebrews 12.6-11. God provides us with His constant love and care.